Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] minor numbers to reflect development vs stable releases?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] minor numbers to reflect development vs stable releases?
From: Paul S Jenner <psj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:06:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi.

Thanks to all who have developed Freeciv over the years.  This has long been a
great game and is now pretty much a classic.  Keep it up.

Previously I have been playing freeciv-1.10.X.  I noticed freeciv-1.11.X was
available but since the minor version number (11) was odd (as opposed to even -
not strange :-), I assumed in the usual convention it was a development or beta
release.  Its only when I checked later that I found it was stable.

I realise you use CVS for development but would you consider numbering stable
releases with even minor version numbers (1.10, 1.12, 1.14 etc.) in the manner
of the Linux kernel, GTK+, GNOME, Samba etc. to avoid people like me not
getting the latest stable version through a bad assumption?  I can't see this
hurting version numbering but I can see it gaining more users of the latest
version.

Cheers,

Paul

==