Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] More on PR#599

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] More on PR#599
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:20:07 -0500

First I have to apologize for using this crappy Hotmail, but I don't have a better email account at the moment. Due to some weirdness within the Hotmail system, some email clients (e.g. mutt) can not display my email body correctly when there is patch attached to it. Tony Stuckey notified me of this problem, and I tried to send patches from another account, but that's not always convenient or even possible. So please bear with me and look a little more closely at the patches I send. I *ALWAYS* include an explanation for them, believe it or not, and you just have to dig a little bit deeper for them sometimes. Thank you for your patience.

Now about PR#599. I first reported this bug when I noticed the keyboard shortcut for using caravans to help build wonder no longer works. It turned out the same key was also assigned to the newly added Diplomat/Spy Actions. Jeff sent a first patch, and I made a few more modifications. After some trial and error, I think I finally got it right.

The main changes are:

-- In the GTK+ client, the 'a','b','f','r' keys are now shared just like the 'p' key. Specifically:

"a" auto-settler/auto-attack
"b" build or add to city/help build wonder
"f" build fortress/fortify
"r" build road or railroad/establish trade route

This is consistent with how it works in the XAW client, and it helps to make the Orders menu shorter for the GTK+ client.

-- "Open Find City Dialog" is now 'shift+f', to be consistent with 'shift+t' for "Tax/Lux/Sci Dialog". Added shortcut 'shift+r' for 'Revolution' in the GTK+ client.

-- Reordered the code in the GTK client to conform to the order things appear in the Orders menu in order to make future modifications easier. It is recommended that future addtions to the menu and shortcuts follow the same practice.

-- Updated the help file to reflect these changes.

It is important to note that there are two kinds of keyboard accelerators in the GTK+ client: one is the direct shortcut as described in the help file, the other is the underlined letter in the menu item, and they are not always the same. The latter is only meaningful when the menu is open, and is not used very often. I have made it so that they are the same whenever possible, but some of them are different in order to avoid conflicts. All in all I think it's now easier to use.

Another thing to watch for is that it took some tricks to display the "/" in "Go/Airlift to City" and "Diplomat/Spy Actions" correctly. So don't be surprised if you see the code for those two menu items looks wrong at first. In the end, it all works fine.

Please read and apply this patch as soon as possible. (The patch was updated and sent just before this email.) It would be very hard to update it if there happens to be some subtle changes in the related files. It already happened when someone last removed an innocent comment somewhere.

Thank you.

Mike