Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pollution as an option

To: R.N.C.vanderFange@xxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pollution as an option
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:02:33 -0500

Ronald van der Fange <R.N.C.vanderFange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi could anyone tell me if this patch is any good and if it can be
implemented...

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel that providing options to remove essential game features like this is a very bad idea. Pollution is an important way to limit the power of really big cities, and removing it would unbalance the game greatly in their favor.

On a related note, some people think that the way to cure smallpox/ICS is to give more benefits to big cities. That's not a good idea either. Big cities are already extremely powerful, because the bigger the city, the greater the effect of city improvements. If a city size bonus is added, it will surely upset game balance beyond recognition.

Mike