[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names (PATCH)

To: Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sigra@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names (PATCH)
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:41:22 +0100

tisdagen den 30 januari 2001 21:47 skrev Gerhard Killesreiter:
> Erik Sigra <erisi730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I have fixed the city lists of all nations to use the new
> > functionality. For toose nations where I could find a good grammar
> > in the Xconq libraries, I used it (for examle swedish, english,
> > german, italian).
>
> I only looked on the one used for German: Main complaint: only
> 7-bit-ascii. I want umlauts :-)

When I first looked at Xconq, all namers were 7-bit-ascii. The code didn't
support anything else. But when I submitted ng-swedish.g, with the Swedish
8-bit characters ÅÄÖåäö in it, Stan and Hans had to fix the code to handle
it. So now it is probably OK to use umlauts. You could just fix ng-german.g.
(I haven't figured out how to type the 'u' with umlaut in Linux yet.) If this
patch doesn't work for you yet, you could test your changes with Xconq for
now.

I don't know for sure who wrote ng-german.g, but it was probably Stan. He is
on vacation now (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2001/msg00052.html).

> > THE NAMING STANDARD FOR NAMER FILES:
> >
> > files called "ng-<language>.g" are grammar namers that produce place
> > names in that language. The grammar contains syllables that produce
> > suitable place names.
> >
> > files called "ng-cities_<state>_<year1>_to[_<year2>].g" are random namers
> > containing a list of names of cities that all belonged to the state
> > between year1 and year2. If the city set of the state today equals the
> > city set in the namer, the part between [] is omitted. I have guessed
> > some of the years, and substituted others with "----".
>
> This name format is probably a nightmare for Windows users. Not that I
> would care ,->

As far as I can remember, even Windows has long filenames now (since 5 to 6
years). And the people still using 8+3-limited systems probably won't use
Freeciv anyway.

> On what basis are the ng-cities-files used? E.g. if there are two for
> one state in different epoches?

Yes, there could be. For example a (not yet exixting) file
ng-cities_finland_1918_to_1940.g would contain all the cities in
ng-cities_finland_1945_to.g and Viipuri Käkisalmi Sortavala Värtsilä Koivisto
Petsamo Salla ...

Not that we have to make city lists for every time period of every state, but
there should be an unambigous naming scheme in case someone would want to do
it.

> Ok, it has compiled.
> One linker warning:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o civserver civserver.o ../common/libcivcommon.a
> ../ai/libcivai.a ./libcivserver.a ../intl/libintl.a
> ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ./libcivserver.a
> -L/home/killes/lib -lz
> ld32: WARNING 84: ../ai/libcivai.a is not used for resolving any symbol.
> ld32: WARNING 84: ./libcivserver.a is not used for resolving any symbol.

Strange. I never got anything like this. Are you trying it on IRIX or
something?

> Hmm, does not work:
>
> 2: killes is the German ruler Bismarck.
> 2: The map has 1 starting positions on 1 isles.
>
> 1: module.c:load_module: Can't find module "" anywhere
>
> 1: lisp.c:symbol_value: unbound symbol `german-place-names', substituting
> nil
>
> »?format?« is suggested as a cityname.
>
> Ah, the ng-* files were not installed.
> Hmm, they should go to data/nation ?

They should have been installed when you patched. At least when I tried the
patch on a fresh codebase, they were installed.

This piece of code in server/ruleset.c assumes that the files are in
data/nation:

    sz_strlcat(pl->city_namer_file, "data/nation/");

> It does not help, I get the same warning.

Like I wrote yesterday, I will make a new patch later today. If you still
have problems then, we will have to look closer at the linking problem.