[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] New event handling

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] New event handling
From: Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:09:34 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Reinier Post wrote:

> > If there is someone able to modify the communication work and
> > restructure it, I have nothing against it. This proposal only addesses
> > the problems resulting in the current message transfer form.
> >
> > A long term method may be to remove the user messages totally and create
> > event messages on client depending on the update-information send by
> > server.
>
> This is exactly what happens, not just for user messages, but for all
> server->client messages.  It would be good to convert the text messages
> to parsed data structure as well.
>
> What I object to is the addition of a hack to make them seem responses
> to client requests - you can't base reliable client-side AI programs on
> that approach, it is broken by design.  Whereas, if you program the
> client side AI according to the existing programming model, namely,
> in terms of routines triggered by updates from the server, that generate
> requests to the server, your client-side algorithms will be more
> difficult to understand, but they will actually work.

Well we have different intentions. You wanna make the communication
cleaner, which is a really nice idea, but all-in-all is a long-term way to
do.

I wanna fix the localization problem (and maybe give the AI freaks some
start point). This is a short-term problem.

The difference to the current state will be an inbetween layer, which
moves the message text creation from server to client. If you do not see
the client and server functiontion related to this, nothing changes,
except the problems disappeared :-)

As already said the methods realised by that patch may disappear in future
version, but it is very likely, that the current message system will be a
long time in there (and thus localization is a crap) if the patch is not
done.

Ciao
|____| _|_ |____| _|_    _|_ |____| I hope AMIGA never ends to make fun!