[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Translation of array entries?

To: Gerhard Killesreiter <killes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Translation of array entries?
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:14:34 -0800 (PST)

Gerhard Killesreiter <killes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I tried to mark some city entries in russian.ruleset, they
> showed up
> in de.po alright, but for some reason the transliterated entries are
> not
> seen in the game.

> However, it is not mentioned, that entries of the vector-format could
> be
> translated. If not, what would be neccessary to achieve this?
>
> If is already possible, what have I done wrong?

In case you have not worked this out yet: entries in either
format can be marked, but the only effect of marking them
is to have them picked up by the gettext tools so they go
into *.po.  They are _not_ automatically translated: that
has to be done explicitly in code.

(This is because, for example, the server needs to store
untranslated names as well as translated ones, which would
not work if all registry names were translated automatically).

There is code to (attempt to) translate all unit names, etc,
but currently there is no translation of city names, hence
the non-effect you saw.

(Specifically, the actual translation-lookup for most ruleset
data occurs in translate_data_names():
http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/common/game.c?v=cvs#L988
)

-- David