[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ II player puzzled by ICS strategy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ II player puzzled by ICS strategy
From: Aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:26:51 +0100

At 08:34 12/01/01 -0500, <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Original mapgen 2 did not generate small islands, thus ruling
>seas less important. Unaware of this, I took it out and leaving
>only original mapgen 3 when current mapgen 4 was added.
>Attempts to restore it or making mapgen2-4 more configurable (see
>http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200007/msg00002.html) did not
>get into CVS.

Oh, oh. I assume this is not good.

One thing CivII did better than CivI was map generation. I'd say a nice
random map (ie: varied, somewhat realistically balanced, playable, etc)
makes a game much more enjoyable. So I think it very worthwhile to get as
good a map generator as possible.

>The problem is not the ruleset itself but rather the AIs who
>would just give away techs and low dipcost/freecost/conquercost.

Yes, I'd say that was the biggest problem in higher difficulty levels of
CivII. The AIs were too happy to let you profit of their high productivity.
Fundies made it interesting by being very obnoxious pounding at the gates,
but in the end, they were little more than pocket cash for my diplomats...

M.A.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Sema Group.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.