[Freeciv-Dev] Re: attrhash

To: Brian Olson <locke@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: attrhash
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:55:22 +0100

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 03:32:41PM -0700, Brian Olson wrote:

> On Sunday, January 14, 2001, at 02:31 PM, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > > Of course send to server has to either be built in just before the
> >
> > "built in" into what? common/hash.c?
>
> Sorry, I meant in attrhash.c aka client/attributes.c, whenever there
> is a call to hash_replace or hash_delete_entry, there would be a
> parallel call to sending a packet to the server, if it is to be
> notified of each change. If the policy is block update, enumeration
> must be added to common/hash.c and add another function in
> client/attributes.c to enumerate and serialize the data, then send
> it to the server.

Agreed.

> > > call to the hash.c call, or for block send, enumeration will have to
> > > be added to the common/hash.c code.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > I suggest renaming attrhash to cliattrib, to better indicate the
> > > usage and purpose, and hide the implementation.
> >
> > If cliattrib stands for client attributes why not just call it
> > client/attributes.[ch]? Since the server methods will be small and
> > referenced from player they can be put into server/plrhand.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> I think it would be useful to have the attribute hash available to
> the client, but not connected to the server, until someone is
> actually using it for an AI/Scripts. Then finalize the data moving

No. You would end up debugging two things in parallel.

> issue when there's data to move. This might also clear up the usage
> issue that determines whether per-transaction or block moving is
> appropriate. As soon as I finish up the MacOS X client to fully

We can start by implement a block mode. Its easy and coded fast. In
the beginning there will not be much data to save. If later this
proves inadequate this can be changed without modifing the interface.

> featured and usable, I'll probably move on to AI stuff in the
> client.

It will get crowded ;-)

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The Software is not designed or licensed for use in on-line control