[Freeciv-Dev] Player Ranking

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Player Ranking
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:27:35 -0800

I want to work on a player ranking system.  But I am only going to work
on the backend (i.e. not touching Freeciv code) so I am going to need
some help.

The first help I need is some feedback.  Here is what I am thinking.
At the 'end' of the game the server determines a winner, perhaps by the
person with the largest civ_score() (common/game.c:512).  The winner
recieves X points.  In case of a tie, the winners recieve Y points.
The values of X and Y can vary based on the score per game of the other
players.

All this goes into a database and where we can pull out the players
with the highest scores per game.

I can make all this happen myself.  Once we iron out the details.  I am
not looking for a perfect system, just something to get us started.

I am hoping this will motivate someone to put in a player
authentication patch.  I am only going to use the player name which is
easily exploitable.  It might also get someone to figure out how better
to determine a winner.  But as I said, I just want to get the back end
working.

--
Paul Zastoupil