[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new german.ruleset

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new german.ruleset
From: Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 Jan 2001 17:18:59 +0100

Niels Weber <nath@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I just edited the file german.ruleset, so that now all cities above
> 100K inhabitants are included (sorted by size). I also removed some
> cities that aren't german but austrian, french or italian today.

So you did create a federal_republic_of_germany_from_1990.ruleset
with historically "important" cities such as Bielefeld or Bottrop.

I think we need to establish a general way to determine what content a
ruleset should contain.

In the past, it seems to me, somebody could send a patch and it was
applied if nobody cared to protest. Mostly cities/leaders were added
rather than removed.

More recently, there was a complaint from two people from Lithuania
who disliked one of the leaders in lithuania.ruleset. Nobody cared and
jjm replaced him. What would happen if a number of Germans would
request Adolf Hitler to be removed from german.ruleset? I am quite
sure that he is not that popular anymore.

AFAIR Mussolini is not included in italian.ruleset, but Franco is in
spanish.ruleset. This is not consistent.

Moreover, it happens that cities which are included in a ruleset are
not in the country the ruleset represents today. E.g. Schlettstadt in
german.ruleset, Islas Malvinas in argentine.ruleset. Maybe more.

Other rulesets contain partially the same cities (german/bavarian).

What should happen to people/their cities not owning a country today?

I propose to discuss this matter in freeciv-data, rather than here.
Follow-up is set.

Cheers,
        Gerhard

--
Dipl.-Phys. Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Physiker gehören zu einer bedrohten Art.