Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Remove free city center (misguided?) (PR#633)

To: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Remove free city center (misguided?) (PR#633)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:22:48 -0500

Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would still like to playtest {higher research speed; more powerful
libraries}.

I think it might work because it's a simple and subtle change to a
game which at present actually works.  As we've discovered, that's a
non-trivial feature - and making changes which are at all big might
make the game cease to work.

Indeed. So all is not lost -- we actually learned something. It did stop ICS, but the cost was a little too high.

With {higher research speed; more powerful libraries} you would be
forced to build libraries, and once you have them, you may as well
let your cities grow; hence they will need other city improvements as
well.  That sorts out the trade advantage of using ICS, but there
still might be a production problem.

After playtesting, it might be felt wise to introduce a new early-on
city improvement corresponding to a library, but for production.

I still think happiness should play a role here. No real new features this time, but I do have to change things around a bit. Hope to see you soon at the next playtest.

Mike