Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Patch: bye bye free city center

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch: bye bye free city center
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 04:49:21 -0500

With this patch, you have the option in game.ruleset to require a real worker to be assigned to the city center, i.e. city center is no longer worked for free. This way, a city of size 1 can only use 1 tile (city center) instead of 2, and so on. This is meant as a way to discourage the use of ICS strategy and encourage city development. There is also a related option to give city center extra food in order to allow normal city growth (it may look a little weird, but not any weirder than city center not requring a worker). This may not be the end of smallpox, because the city center still gets free road and irrigation, but it certainly makes it much less attractive as a real strategy.

I know that I probably should add a new capability string, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. ;-) The AI seems to have no problem with this change, but of course more tests are needed. I am almost certain that there are other pieces of code that are affected by this change. Bug reports and criticism are greatly apprciated.

Mike