Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv into Finnish?

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv into Finnish?
From: Sini Ruohomaa <siruohom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:34:21 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

I got a must-contribute rush. I want to translate Freeciv into Finnish
(despite the horrors of fitting anything variable-y into a non-analythical
language). Didn't look like anyone's working on a translation when I
checked on the site (or do you just list the finished
translation-projects?).

Some things I'm wondering about:

* ,fuzzy - maybe it should even be in the localization faq: should /I/
  mark things fuzzy and if so, what should I mean by it (= when should
  something be 'fuzzy')? I'm using the Norwegian translation as my
  template, after merging it with the pot-file to get some idea on what
  some cryptic things actually mean - should I remove 'Norwegian fuzzies'
  if the Finnish version doesn't <insert requirements for being fuzzy
  here>?

* There's a string 'freeciv version x' somewhere, but I can't find it in
  the po-template. It shows up in the client window on startup, welcome to
  the freeciv version x server blahblah. I want to translate the
  'version', because it isn't obvious that it is English and the sentence
  looks odd  (version means "version's" in Finnish). Is it translateable
  (is it just that I haven't looked hard enough)?

* Is variable-shuffling allowed, and if so, how should it be done? I can't
  bend any variables (add things to their end to get pretty much the same
  effect that prepositions do with English) for various reasons, so I
  pretty much can't have them for instance as objects in sentences.
  I'm doing various hacks to avoid this, and being able to shuffle the
  variables (first use the one listed second etc) would be, uh, nice.
  Also, is it allowed to skip variables?

I hope this was the place to ask.
Thanks,

--Sini