Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] [Proposal] Changing the scorelog format

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [Proposal] Changing the scorelog format
From: "Wong TM (Huang Deming)" <lookmeow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:14:22 +0800

Problem: I see that the log file can get very big(at least for an all AIs game,
3MB
for 20 players).

Goal: Reduce log size.

With feedback from CivLog members, I thinking of:

- stop outputing dead player log and maybe add a 'dead' tag to signify
end of dead player log.

D  P YEAR DATA
-  - ---- ----
13 1 1100 100
13 2 1100 120
13 3 1100 dead <- player dead (not that much needed)
13 4 1100 144
[...]
13 1 1120 110
13 2 1120 111 <-\
13 4 1120 111 <- dead player skipped

*D - Data types (Pop, Mfg, City etc.)
*P - Player

- Do not place the year in each row but make sections like this:

Turn: 1100
Turn: 1120

- It is also possible to omit lines if the value didn't change.

Nevertheless all these changes complicate thing during the parsing. I don't
know how
many programs are out
there which can parse the current format and will then need an update.

I will continue if that's not objections. Comments?

 -Deming