Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Re: Graphical server frontend

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Re: Graphical server frontend
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:58:49 +0200

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 07:40:50PM +0300, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 08:06:14AM +0200, Daniel Sj?lie wrote:
> > On 2000-09-08 21:27:58, Thue wrote:
> > > Random thought: You could split the server like the client, with a sub
> > > directory
> > > for a terminal based frontend, one for a graphical frontend, etc. It
> > > should be
> > > easy to isolate the common server code.
> > > It would also allow for an easier programmed and more powerfull frontend I
> > > think.
> > > (not that I intent to make a graphical frontend myself)

The question is, what would that common interface look like?
Why not use the existing cmmand line interface, with some improvements
to make it more parseable.

> Yes, I think this would be a pretty good solution, but
> isn't server "frontend" enough? I think it wouldn't be too
> hard to write as well. (not that I intend to make or even use
> any graphical server frontends).

Someone is currently working on a patch that allows setting some server
variables from the client GTK GUI.  Other solutions are being implemented
as well.  I hope it will come together in the end.

> One benefit at least would be that it (graphical frontend)
> would always stay up to date...

Yes, automatically.

--
Reinier