Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO: proposal for format more flexible rulesets

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO: proposal for format more flexible rulesets
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:57:55 +0200

Marc Strous wrote:
> Probably the most elegant way is to let the interpreter code brief bits of
> machine code that can then be called by the server. it shouldn't be too
> difficult because the operations are simple and should be executed simply in
> the order they are provided in the ruleset.

Just make sure it is portable.

> (from cathedral)
> effect          =
>     { "type", "range", "pool", "amount", "cond_gov"
>         "Plus", "City", "Building Happiness", 3
>         "Plus", "City", "Building Happiness", 2, "Theocracy"
>         "Plus", "City", "Building Happiness", -2, "Communism"
>     }

How would you combine this with social engineering? With social
engineering, Government will just be one social category.

The civ2 ruleset would be a special case where government is the only
social category with the choices Despotism, Monarchy, Republic,
Fundamentalism, Democracy, Communism, Anarchy.

The AC ruleset would have the social categories Politics, Economics,
Values, Future Soceity. Each with a group of choices.

> helptext        = _("\
> Increases happiness by 3 (5 under Theocracy,\
>  1 under Communism)\
> ")
>
> (from CTP city wall)
> effect          =
>     { "type", "range", "pool", "action", "amount"
>         "Plus", "City", "Defense", "", 4
>         "Resistant", "City", "", "Enslave", 100
>         "Resistant", "City", "", "Convert", 50
>     }
> helptext        = _("\
> Gives +4 on defense and prevents attacks by slavers;\
>  gives 50% protection against conversion attempts by\
>  priests.\
> ")
>
> from freeciv oracle
> effect          =
>     { "type", "range", "var", "amount"
>         "varChange", "Player", "Building_Temple_Amount", 4
>     }
> helptext        = _("\
> Temples produce double happiness.\
> ")
>
> I think all buildings in different civ varieties can be accomodated this way
>
> * In the units ruleset, units should get a new property called "actions",
> partly replacing the unit flags.
> Actions are all the actions a unit can do, simple and complex ones, such as
> "pillage", "combat", "settle city", "spy", "make embassy", "bribe unit",
> "enslave" etc.

Artillery? Transfer resources?