Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: network i/o

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: network i/o
From: Lauri Tarkkala <ltarkkal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 19:39:51 +0300

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 10:13:28AM -0400, Jed Davis wrote:
> --On Monday, 4 September 2000 15:44 +1100 David Pfitzner
> <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - I found it a bit confusing that game.net_compress_level is named so
> > similarly to game.save_compress_level when actually the 'levels' are
> > quite different: latter is "compression level/quality" 1 to 9 (or 0
> > for off), while former is an enum of whether compression is allowed
> > and/or required for clients.  Didn't change though.
> >
> So maybe game.net_compress_level should be the quality/speed tradeoff of
> the network compression from 1..9 (or 0 for off), which would a more
> intuitive use for the name, and something like game.net_compress_policy
> could be the never-compress/compress-if-possible/always-compress selector.
> Or, if the two compression levels are to be the same, rename them/it to
> something like game.compress_level.

Currently the network traffic is compressed always using level 9. Whether
this is wise or not I do not know. The assumption is that the blocks
to be compressed are so small, that the time spent compressing
is negligible compared to network latency.

Lauri

--
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and
sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again