Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Against cheating clients: global_advances patch.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Against cheating clients: global_advances patch.
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:24:37 -0400

At 2000/09/04 08:33 , Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> Any ideas how to handle those spaceship part advances? Every solution I
>can think about either sends too much information to clients or is ugly
>hack. One solution would be to tell everybody (with non-modified clients
>too) when each spaceship part is available to someone.
> Should I remove common wonder_obsolete() and make separate functions to
>client and server or modify common function to use obsolete_wonders vector
>and add update_wonder_obsolescence() to server.
> Should I mask out information about those wonders player can't yet build
>or should I modify clients so they show (where?) obsolescence of all
>wonders?

Yes.  They would be unnecessary if they did not affect the game clock.  I
also believe it would be much better, in general, if the game clock ran in
a deterministic manner (unlike now).

So, my proposal is to change spaceships to take some number of Turns to
arrive, not Years, then re-write the next-year stuff to ignore spaceship
advances.

jjm