Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Unit models (More complex unit and battle system)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Unit models (More complex unit and battle system)
From: Martin Olveyra <bj0v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 02:22:06 -0300

I am taking special attention in the e-mail series "more complex unit and
battle system". Some discussed points give me some extra ideas.

A complement for adding unit experience, more progressive unit types
(light armor, heavy armor, etc) and unit names (See very nice ideas in the
xconq project http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/. All of this is implemented.
Source is free) is to add "improved units" (this idea is mine, i mean not
implemented in xconq). That means, the first times a given unit type is builded,
it has an inicial "sophistication points" (may be a better name for this) equal
to zero. After some time, the new builded units of this type are emitted with a
greater sofistication point, and so on. This is more close to reality (models
evolve). This can be implemented joined to a subtype naming system. That means,
the first time a unit of a given type is builded, you can assign a model name
and number (for example "T-2"). Automatically, any time the unit subtype
(model) is improved (so the following units of that type are emitted with a
greater sophistication degree) the computer assigns automatically a greater
number for the model (for example "T-3"), so you can easily identify the
improved units.

May be when I had time I can dedicate some time to implement this ideas and
those exposed in this discussion series. But I had some promised work that (due
to lack of time) I couldnt implement yet. One is killstack as a ruleset (I saw
that anybody liked my patch that implements killstack as server option :-( )
and the other is to add the possibility of having arbitrary number and kind of
materials.

;-)