Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] observers (was: Against cheating clients: veteran status

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] observers (was: Against cheating clients: veteran status patch.)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 11:58:53 -0400

At 2000/08/20 22:18 , Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> After combat, tell only to the owner of winning unit whether unit gained
>veteran status or not.

This patch lead me think:  Are observers more or less knowledgeable than an
"enemy" player?  (By "observers", I mean those observers where
(pconn->player == NULL).  Observers that are attached to players should see
exactly what the player would see, right?)

For example, this patch changes the code to send veteran status of a unit
to only the owner of the unit -- all other players' connections never see
veterans.  The question is:  Should this send veteran status to observers
(as it does the owner), or should it never send veteran status to observers?

Also, when observers are implemented, will they see the entire map?  The
union of all players' exposed maps?  The intersection (silly :)?  Is there
another possibility?

Hum.  It seems that observers by their very nature are going to be more,
rather than less, omniscient.  So, I guess that in this (veteran status)
case, observers should receive the veteran status.  And, they should always
receive the maximal amount of information.

jjm