[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex terrain advantages and disadvantages patc

To: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex terrain advantages and disadvantages patch
From: peter jurcovic <hhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:06:43 +0200

Tony Stuckey wrote:

>         Your scenario describes exactly why the defenders *DO* get an
> advantage!  The attackers are the ones who have to cross exposed
ground to
> fight!

But the defenders or those, who are coping with the river. And the
attackers
don't have to enter the river to fight them - units with fire guns can
shoot
them from the banks and units without fire guns can just wait on the
bank and
attack in the moment, when defenders are close enough.

I guess, that we have different view at crossing river. In contemporary
system, it seems like units would be glad in the water, because they are

stronger and quicker there. But I think, that *ground* units are just
crossing the water and it's not their natural terrain and so they should
be
weakened there.

> > River defense disadvantage is implemented very simply - I just
reverted
> > +50% terrain river bonus to -50% terrain river bonus.
>
>         I think this is going to need rethinking.

That may be true, I did not see here any deep discussion about this, so
I made it the most simple (but I think still reasonable) way.