[Freeciv-Dev] AI bug & patch

To: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] AI bug & patch
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:13:03 +0300 (EET DST)

 In civ1 mode, AI almost never builds settlers. Its completely stuck to
its first city.

 This seems to be due to fact that AI optimizes workers for food
production and there is no extra shield production at city center in civ1
mode (min_city_center_shield=0). So most small cities will have
no production at all.

 Attached patch makes AI to value shields (and food) more, if there is no
surpluss at all.

 Possible problem with this is that when unit is finished and its
upkeep makes shield surpluss 0, AI decreases food production in order to
get some shield production. With this production it builds new unit...
 Its rather easy to make some _ugly_ fix for that, but I don't want to do
it unless its necessary. I ran a couple of tests with standard rules
and overall AI performance seemed to be about same as it was without
patch.

 Caz