[Freeciv-Dev] Re: split server into library and main

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: split server into library and main
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:44:01 -0400

At 2000/08/10 22:56 , David Pfitzner wrote:
>Jeff Mallatt wrote:
>
>> This patch splits the server code into two parts: most goes into a library
>> (called libcivserver.a) and just the main() is left in civserver.c.
>>
>> This will allow people who want to write utilities that need access to
>> server-side routines (like save-file saving and loading) to simply link
>> against the library.  Just need to call srv_init() before using any server
>> routines.
>
>Looks good, but is there a reason for moving most of civserver.c
>to a new module (srv_main.c) instead of leaving most in civserver.c
>and just moving main() to the new module?

Just a "minimal change" philosophy.  (Actually, srv_main is the old module
(just renamed), and civserver is the new module made from a few parts of
the old one.)

I figured that if things continue to work after this change is committed,
we can in the future migrate things that would be useless to utility
programs out of srv_main.c into civserver.c -- in fact, we might want to
migrate whole modules from the library to the program (what would a utility
want with sernet.[hc]?).

jjm