[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fascism patch for freeciv (fwd)

To: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Juan Cortes <cortes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fascism patch for freeciv (fwd)
From: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:53:19 +0200

Reed Meyer wrote:

> Hello Gerhard,
>
> > I do not know, if you read freeciv-dev, therefore another answer. Your
> > use of the swastika-flag in your patch would make it illegal to
> > distribute freeciv in Germany if it were included.
>
> I have heard about the swastika flag being illegal in Germany, but in a
> GAME????  I can understand if some neo-Nazi is trying to wave the flag in
> the streets to stir up trouble, but this is just a *game*,

Unfortunatly Freeciv deals with *real* historical topics and names them.
This makes this a little bit more complicated. Well this topics are
uses at an abstract level but we always have to think over the usage
of thoses topics. Sometimes - I believe - the usage of some topics
has to be commented.

>      Are documentaries or television shows which show a swastika flag in
> the background similarly banned?

They are criticaly reviewed first.
Because you come in trouble if it look as you would sympathize
with fashism.

> > Therefore I sincerely hope that this patch will not be included in any
> > version of freeciv. Why don't you make it a modpack? If somebody would
> > like to play fascism he could download it seperately.

I see no reason why someone would like to play it.

>      If we were to make the Fascism part (part (3) above) into a modpack,
> would the swastika flag still be a legal problem?

You put it on you private page you are the only one who
*could* come in trouble.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
PGP: 1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/