[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:13:36 -0600

Hi
Sorry about the randomness of this message.  I left it in my out box for at
least a week.

At 8:40 AM +0200 6/21/2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 02:19:02PM -0500, Tony Stuckey wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 06:38:59PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>> > I would like to ask freeciv developers what features
>> > would they like to see in 1.12 (or maybe 2.0, why not ???)
>> > Please, add what you want to this list and send it to freeciv-dev ML.
>> >
>> > - bugfixes, more nations etc.
>>
>>      Method of making "custom" nation, so that more nations are not
>> required.
>
>I suggest some cleanup in <nation>.ruleset :

[sniped keep fields]

>attack         } delete
>expand         } delete
>civilized      } delete

The above 3 items determine the ai style.  Some civilizations were/are
considered to have certaint charastics.  This might? be need for civ II
compatability.  I supose a server (or ruleset?) option like Ignore_History
(default in ruleset?, min 0, max 1-0 means these values are used, 1 means
they are randomly generated)

>advisors       } delete
This line should be deleated, I think-the purpose is probably to
increace/decrease the weight of certaint advisors. (if the military has a
200 weight and the trade has a 50 weight, the advice from the military guy
is 4x more important)  This probably should be generated based on the above
flags.

>tech_goals     } delete
>wonder         } delete
>government     } delete
The above items are hints for the ai behavior. Tech goals could be deduced
from the attack rating. (militaristic for gunpowder, peaceful for
trade/space)  Prehaps these hint codes coud be stored in tech.ruleset.  A
starting point could be stea^H^H^H^Hborowing the values from civ 1/2 (use
in their rulesets), the default could use the civ 2 values?  Government
could be deduced from how civilized the nation is. (more civilizied nations
go towards democracy, republic, possibly comunisim, less civilized nations
are dictatorships, theocracies(sp?)/Fanatic.  The above list is a value
judgemen, I think)

>cities         } leave
>
>that way, 100% of meaningful data and no crap will fit on custom nation
>screen.
The fields you proposed leaving are only needed for AIs.  Therefore they
could be blank for custom nations.  In fact, I think that the only items
needed for the custom nations are country name, leader name leader gender
and possibly, flag/mini map color.

[snip]

Andy Black