[Freeciv-Dev] Climate Change

To: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Climate Change
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:57:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I've been working on a system to model climate change. The hope is to make
something that allows the planet to change in a realistic manner. For
example, consider how much smaller the Sahara desert was in 4000 BC.

The attached patch was created for cvs-Jun-17, but applies successfully
against cvs-Jun-30.

This version is not quite the way I'd like it to be, some parts work
imperfectly, there are some balance problems. I'm looking for suggestions,
ideas, bugs, etc. My ruleset is not quite optimal. Discussion?

Almost everything is configurable using the terrain.ruleset

Currently savegames omit the climate information. If someone could fix
this and send me a patch, it would save me trying to understand the saving
mechanism.

Note that this modifies the client and the client/server interface to
allow the client to display the climate properties of the terrain. Under
normal use these would be secret, so the player could not predict what
would happen to the land. I needed this so I could debug the changes.