[Freeciv-Dev] Re: bug/fix loading some old savegames (PR#394)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: bug/fix loading some old savegames (PR#394)
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:16:05 +0200

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Using 1.10.2, with an oldish savegame, after server 'start' I got
> lots of messages like:
> # 0: Trying to update old city (wrong ID) at 19,1 for player Constantin
> # 0: Trying to update old city (wrong ID) at 68,1 for player Constantin
>
> Such errors only occured for dead players, and I believe this is
> because when that particular game was saved, dead players had fogged
> view, whereas now they do not.

This is a result of a bug there was a bug in CVS for some time I think.
What happened is that
1) game saved with a dead player
2) game loaded ; the dead player's map not unfogged (the bug)
3) game saved ; now the player's map may contain cities that are destroyed
4) game loaded with CVS where the map is properly unfogged; tiles that
are known and seen contains cities that isn't there, and you get your
error messages.

Shouldn't happen again since the bug is already fixed.

> This is not a serious problem, because it would only affect games
> saved using a development version of Freeciv which existed for a
> fairly short time.  Nevertheless, here is a fix.
>
> The fix is fairly minimal, and a more general fix might actually be
> nice, to cope with the general case of games saved with slightly
> different visibility rules than the rules in the current executable
> (eg, for possible future visibility rule changes).  But I'm not
> familiar enough with this part of the current code to do that easily.

More generel fix attached. (and commited)

> Another issue with this is that the above messages are another case
> where the messages are level LOG_FATAL, but the game continues.  As
> I think was suggested before, it might be good to have another log
> level, eg:
>   LOG_FATAL       - something fatally wrong, giving up (exit/abort)
>   LOG_ERROR (new) - something seriously wrong, but continuing
>   LOG_NORMAL      - something happened -- general message
>   LOG_VERBOSE     - extra messages -- verbose, but not excessively so
>   LOG_DEBUG       - _lots_ of output, select files/lines for this

I think we all agree.

> Regards,
> -- David

-Thue