[Freeciv-Dev] bug/fix loading some old savegames (PR#394)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] bug/fix loading some old savegames (PR#394)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:30:24 -0700 (PDT)

Using 1.10.2, with an oldish savegame, after server 'start' I got
lots of messages like:
# 0: Trying to update old city (wrong ID) at 19,1 for player Constantin
# 0: Trying to update old city (wrong ID) at 68,1 for player Constantin

Such errors only occured for dead players, and I believe this is
because when that particular game was saved, dead players had fogged
view, whereas now they do not.

This is not a serious problem, because it would only affect games
saved using a development version of Freeciv which existed for a
fairly short time.  Nevertheless, here is a fix.

The fix is fairly minimal, and a more general fix might actually be
nice, to cope with the general case of games saved with slightly
different visibility rules than the rules in the current executable
(eg, for possible future visibility rule changes).  But I'm not
familiar enough with this part of the current code to do that easily.

Another issue with this is that the above messages are another case
where the messages are level LOG_FATAL, but the game continues.  As
I think was suggested before, it might be good to have another log
level, eg:
  LOG_FATAL       - something fatally wrong, giving up (exit/abort)
  LOG_ERROR (new) - something seriously wrong, but continuing
  LOG_NORMAL      - something happened -- general message
  LOG_VERBOSE     - extra messages -- verbose, but not excessively so
  LOG_DEBUG       - _lots_ of output, select files/lines for this

Regards,
-- David