[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Fighter Cover and Torpedoers

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Fighter Cover and Torpedoers
From: "Peter Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:45:55 +0200

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Chad <cwingrav@xxxxxx>
An: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: Samstag, 10. Juni 2000 16:13
Betreff: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch: Fighter Cover and Torpedoers

>This patch allows units two new options:
>
>1) "FighterCover" - If this unit has this option, it can defend a square
>and if destroyed, units behind it are not destroyed.

Great concept.
What happens when there is a stronger unit in the square to defend,
but that unit is a fighter, but doesnt offer fighter cover ?

>2) "Torpedoers" - If the unit has this option, it can only attack "Horse"
>units.
>
>    - Ok, hack alert but what I did was every ship I considered large, I
>termed a "Horse" unit.  Therefor, small ships like fighters can have
>"PikeMen" on them and be effective defenders against them.  Also,
>tiny torpedo units are created that have high attack strength but only
>against large ( as defined by the "Horse" flag) units.  Also, there are
>bomber tiny units that can only attack land units.  Once again, I hope
>more strategy comes from this.

Maybe u really want to create a new class for that, like " large unit class"
or "mechanized unit class" or maybe look at the hit point multiplier( 3-4
cruisers/battleships ).
So maybe create an "ignore hitpoint multiplier" flag instead.
Thats a more general concept which would be of use to "freeciv mode".

If you use horse flag, some kind of AI might handle the unit wrong:
Ground units would fall in 3 groups for AI, for the purpose of tactics:

-infantry (can defend well)
-horse   (can move fast, and attack well)
-artillery(can attack well, but really needs a bodyguard or protected siege
tile destination).

(Mechanized infantry can serve in multiple roles.)

Just thinking aloud, hope it helps.