[Freeciv-Dev] Re: MORT

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: MORT
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:34:35 +0200

> It's only about 10% quicker, but if someone somewhere
> is running freeciv on (say) a 486sx, it's likely to be
> a much bigger difference.
>
> I could send a patch with some explanatory comments.

Please. (yes, I know robert also helped)

> I have started writing an "ai-hackers-guide.txt" to
> describe how the current AI does its various
> evaluations and decisions.

That would be very nice! I have some insight in it too, so feel free to
ask (and/or let me proff-read it).
Please be liberal with correcting and deleting old comment as
neccesary, many of then are not worth much as it is.

> If you want to change MORT, then apart from the
> ((23/24)**12)=(3/5) hack, you would have to deal with
> the various hardcoded values in city_desirability.  I
> don't 100% understand where they came from yet (the
> comment says
> /* all of these kluges are hardcoded amortize calls
> /* to save much CPU use -- Syela
> )

How about making that lookup table you mentioned if it is so CPU
critical. It could be generated on startup to allow changing MORT.

> I think MORT represents "the number of turns that an
> investment takes to pay for itself".  Is there an
> accountant or an economist in the house who can tell
> us if this is standard terminology?

I agree.

> =====
> Andrew McGuinness                Luton, UK
> andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx

-Thue