[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug - client is stuck (PR#383)

To: gianmario.scotti@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug - client is stuck (PR#383)
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 19:20:54 +0200

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000, gianmario.scotti@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello.
>

> I use the Win32 version 1.10 of Freeciv. I have encountered this strange
> problem, with this particular game (see attached save file): at a certain
> point from where I have saved the file (actually, almost immediately) the
> Freeciv Client's UI would stuck, with large portions of it being grey, and
> the Science Report window not opening up completely.
> The interesting thing is that the Server's prompt is stuck, too, so the only
> way to close it is to type Ctrl+C.
>
> This is what the output on the Server looked like:

Very nice. This is not a windows specific bug but a bug in the goto
algoritm. It is reproducible from the savegame, so we (I) will have it
fixed soon. Many thanks for finding this!
More specifically it is a RailRoad loop, ie a unit is going around in
little cute circles, and since it doesn't cost anything to move it just
keep going and going...
The first thing I did was to try it with my modified algoritm, but
embarrasingly it still bugged. It seems to be a very special case, with
-an uneven xsize of the map (55)
-the RR's just where the map wrap in the x direction
-the distance from the unit to the gotodest half the map size
in the x direction (+1 because of the unequal map size)

btw I think I already know what the problem is from looking at that list.
(but it would be a bit long to describe, and I have not quite though it
through, so you will just have to wait for the patch to see it)

A simple solution will be to implement the ideas for an improved goto
Falk and I discussed, which will automatically solve it. It would also be
quite easy to modify the current algoritm I think.

-Thue