Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Diplomatic states. Introduces war,

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Diplomatic states. Introduces war, neutral, ce...
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 15:37:42 +0200

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Nice to see this finally checked in :) I have a way old patch lying
> around that implements some of those TODOs, especially senate. I'll
> try to update it and submit it in small chunks.
>
> In my version, there was also a "No contact" state that would be
> converted to Neutral when first meeting a player. Do you think this is
> a good idea? I could provide a patch.

Yes, that would be nice!

> For the "AIs are always at war" I hacked it to declare war whenever it
> did something aggressive that wouldn't be allowed in the current state
> (attack unit, take over city; today that would be also diplomat
> attacks (yes the patch is THAT old :)). This seems nicer to me that
> the neutralize_ai_player method, what do you think?

The always at war part is, as I said, a temporary kludge. Rather than
doing the somewhat extensive work (as far as I can estimate) of your
suggestion (which is after all also a temporary cludge), I think we
should go straight for teaching the AI to do diplomacy and handle
diplomatic states.

> It also seems that players can attack each other at neutral state,
> which seems strange, since it wouldn't differ from war at all then. In
> my version, you had to declare war when in netral state to attack
> (just like in the good old times).

Yes, maybe we should change that.

-Thue