Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: transform to ocean

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: transform to ocean
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:47:31 -0400

I've attached a fixed-up patch.

At 2000/05/23 14:54 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
>-Remove rivers from tiles transformed to ocean.

This was put in clear_infrastructure().  But, a river is not
infrastructure.  So, I moved it to the places where clear_infrastructure()
is called.

I also commented it as needing to be removed when the rest of the code can
handle rivers on ocean tiles.  I think we should leave rivers where they
are: in the case of land->ocean->land circular changes, the river should
reappear.  This requires the rest of the code to distinguish real rivers
from submerged rivers, which I didn't verify at this time.

>-Disallow transforming below an existing city

The city check you added was to the code that checked the reverse change --
that of from ocean to land.  Since cities can't be on ocean, the check here
is not needed.  I removed it.

Also, changing from land to ocean beneath a city is already disallowed.

>-Reset the activity of settlers transforming to ocean on a square when
>building a city on top

Good!  However, both mining and irrigation can also change to ocean, so I
added these cases.

>-And then making this patch I once again fell for the misuse of the
>parameters in create_city() as iterators, so I changed them!

Excellent!  I'd noticed the "hijacked" comment before, but hadn't gotten
around to fixing it.

When you added "const"s to create_city(), you didn't add them to the
prototype in cityhand.h.  I like the definition and declaration to be
consistent, so I added them.

jjm