Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: can't build police stations (PR#339)

To: bleicher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: can't build police stations (PR#339)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:48:44 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:15:16 -0700 (PDT),
  marcus bleicher <bleicher@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Version: 1.10

> i can not build police stations from the city menue
> or the change button in the city report.
> however, they are accesible from the change all
> button in the city report.

Yes, I can reproduce this if I have built the Women's Suffrage
wonder.  This wonder provides the effect of Police Stations, so
the "Change All" dialog is wrong (but see below).

The code problem seems to be that we need a non-city-specific
version of wonder_replacement() to be used in
can_player_build_improvement().  Or maybe make
can_player_build_improvement() iterate over all the player's
cities instead, to be more accurate.  Or maybe improvement
generalisations will change this anyway (probably making a
solution harder).

Or even, probably you should still be able to build Police
Stations when wonder-replaced (but with some indication that
they are not necessary), similar to when you may want to build
City Walls when you have the Great Wall if it is going to expire.
(Suffrage doesn't expire, but could in different ruleset, or
maybe your Suffrage city is going to be conquered, etc.)

Regards,
-- David