Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: gui-gtk GoTo Dialog patch

To: Freeciv Developers List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: gui-gtk GoTo Dialog patch
From: Stepan Roh <sroh7497@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:32:02 +0200 (CEST)

[ I was told to send this to the list rather than to David ]

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, David Pfitzner wrote:

> That sounds like a useful feature, but there are some problems with
> the patch:
>
> - Need to check pcity->is_building_unit as well as
>   is_wonder(pcity->currently_building)

That's it! It sometimes gave wonders where there was none. I thought that
is_wonder is checking for units as well. My stupidity. Better to read
sources.

> - Should check pcity->owner == game.player_idx to avoid showing
>   wonder-production of enemy cities (various issues here whether
>   this info should be available, but this check would be simplest).

No. Original Civ II shows this also and because you know where the wonder
is built (you receive message each time building of wonder is started
including city) I think it's not necessary.

> - The patch doesn't work!! :-}
>   Because the name in the list is used to find which city it is,
>   and when you add the wonder name it no longer matches.  Seems like
>   bad widget/dialog design to me, but more extensive changes required
>   to fix.  (There is an existing kludge to cope with the airport
>   "(A)" label.)

Yeah, well... I didn't test my patch a lot because I was tired and on my
way home. I noticed that small problem ;-) on Friday when we were playing
and fixed that in one minute. I'm sending new, corrected, patch (I hope).

BTW, I was also thinking about patch implementing pollution warning
available in GoTo/Airlift dialog. This feature is also in Civ II :-). If
you don't know what's that : it simply shows you number of pollutioned
squares around city (if any). It is also very useful. But implementing it
is not as easy. Maybe I'll try.

Have a nice day,
Stepan Roh