Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch]full fog of war

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch]full fog of war
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:11:00 +0100

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 12:36:52PM -0500, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> At 2000/03/29 18:23 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> >I have made the savegames made with unit fog of war incompatible (1.10
> >savegames will work, of course). Is this ok?
> >I could make them compatible, but I don't want to clutter the format for
> >compatibility with 3 weeks worth of CVS savegames.
>
> Humm.  I noticed that it *is* fairly easy to load a "unit only" fog
> save-game by simply deleting the "fogofwar=#" line from the file, loading
> the game, then setting the fogofwar server option to 1 (if that's what you
> want).  So, since the "unit only" format was never used by a stable
> version, and since it is easy to recover the games, I think in this case it
> may be okay to break compatibility.  Any objections?

As a general principle, I think you should only bother to guarantee
save-file compatibility between released versions. That's not to say
it should never be implemented in other case, but probably only when
it's really easy and doesn't cause code bloat.  People tracking CVS
should be happy to lose games (or finish them in a given version).

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable