Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch]full fog of war

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch]full fog of war
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:36:52 -0500

At 2000/03/29 18:23 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
>I have made the savegames made with unit fog of war incompatible (1.10
>savegames will work, of course). Is this ok?
>I could make them compatible, but I don't want to clutter the format for
>compatibility with 3 weeks worth of CVS savegames.

Humm.  I noticed that it *is* fairly easy to load a "unit only" fog
save-game by simply deleting the "fogofwar=#" line from the file, loading
the game, then setting the fogofwar server option to 1 (if that's what you
want).  So, since the "unit only" format was never used by a stable
version, and since it is easy to recover the games, I think in this case it
may be okay to break compatibility.  Any objections?

>> - Third in the series...  Setting fogofwar back to 1 from 0 doesn't hide
>> the cities that I shouldn't know about.
>
>It would be tricky to hide the cities; I think it will remain that if you
have
>seen it once it doesn't later disappear. (thought you will get no updates)

This should be okay.  Toggling fogofwar every other turn is probably not
typical behavior ;-)

>> - Keying the loading of player maps off of the fogofwar value in the save
>> file may not be correct.  If the file was saved with the new code, it will
>> have the player map regardless of the setting of fogofwar.
>
>The way fog of war is turned off is by adding 1 to the seen value of all
tiles.
>And then just let the code run as usual. barring errors no tile will ever get
>down to 0. I think it is quite need using the same code this way. (and allows
>ingame fog toggling)
>This has the consequence that player maps exist regardless of fogofwar
setting.
>So I simply save them. So this is not an error.
>You could, however, add a little exstra code and avoid saving them (they
>contain no info), so having a smaller savegame size.
>My initial thought is that it isn't worth it. comments?

I suspect turning fogofwar off will be rare (just a guess).  However, in a
test I just did, the new code inflated a 100k save file to 500k !!  I think
that great a savings should be considered.  Especially since the code
required is the addition of a single "if" and the change of one existing "if".

jjm