Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] vasc: Added gtk+ resource file for the c

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] vasc: Added gtk+ resource file for the client.
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 14:56:17 +0000 (WET)

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, David Pfitzner wrote:

(snip...)

> Good, but I'm wondering if we should rationalize the locations
> of the config files somewhat.  We currently have:
>
> ~/.civclientrc    common options for all clients
> ~/Freeciv       Xaw resources file
> ~/freeciv.rc    Gtk+ resources file
> ~/.freeciv/     In default FREECIV_PATH, eg for rulesets, tilesets.
>
> Or maybe this is ok, if the toolkit-specific files follow the
> conventions for those toolkits?  (Eg, I'm not sure we can even
> change ~/Freeciv for Xaw resources?)  But I would prefer
> clientrc be moved into ~/.freeciv/ (and ideally we would also
> have a server rc file, planned for some time but not implemented
> yet).

About Xaw resources i don't know, but as far as i can tell Gtk+ has no
conventions on that. We can change the directory for the Gtk+ resource
files to ~/.freeciv/freeciv.rc or maybe ~/.freeciv/civclient.rc.  What do
you think?

> Another issue: we currently keep an autogenerated copy of
> client/gui-xaw/Freeciv.h in CVS; do we also want the new
> client/gui-gtk/Freeciv.h in CVS?  Recall we keep autogenerated
> files in CVS for the benefit of people who may not have all the
> tools.  In this case the only relevant tool seems to be 'sed',
> which configure etc rely on anyway, so maybe we need neither
> in CVS?

If that's the case, IMO both files should be removed from CVS.

BTW the changes i made to the ad2c script seem to work, but i really dunno
much about sed besides the s// command :-)

---