Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] registry includes, splitting nations.ruleset (PR#240)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] registry includes, splitting nations.ruleset (PR#240)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 19:13:11 +1100 (EST)

I am intending to commit the patches I developed before
1.10.0, to allow "include" lines in registry files
(rulesets, tilespec etc).  See
    <http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/bugs?findid=240>
for details.

The combined patch is included again here.  The only changes
I made were trivial updates to current CVS, and to change the
new syntax from "!include ..." to "*include ...", because '!'
reads too much like 'not'.  (Recall '#' is already a comment
characters, so not good.)

After this is in CVS, I think the first application should
be splitting up nations.ruleset into separate files (to allow
easy arrangements of rulesets with subsets etc).  The main
question is what filenames (eg suffixes) and directory
structure to use for this.

We currently use "*.ruleset" for ruleset files, but may
want to use something different from incomplete fragments
of ruleset files; eg "*.rset" ?  Or not...

Eg, would have:
    data/default/nations/roman.ruleset
    data/default/nations/babylonian.ruleset
    data/default/nations/misc_cities.ruleset
and nations.ruleset would have lines:
    *include "default/nations/roman.ruleset"
    *include "default/nations/babylonian.ruleset"

(Hmm, maybe the "*include" mechanism should automatically
assume/try some suffix?)

Incidently, nations.ruleset currently has mostly numbered
sections like [nation1], but this is not enfored in the code,
and these should probably be changed to [nation_babylonian]
etc, since the numbers would no longer be very meaningful
(the section names just need to be distinct).

-- David