[Freeciv-Dev] local sockets (was Suggestion: libcivserver)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] local sockets (was Suggestion: libcivserver)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:55:22 +0100

>   I agree this is a good idea.  In fact, I posted code to this list to do a
> rather braindead :) form of identification (a year ago or so, so it's unlikely
> it'll still compile, and I lost the diff anyway..)

Yes, I remember that.

>  However, for full control
> of the civserver I *want* to be able to require the person connecting to it
> to have an account on my machine; in fact, I want to be able to require them
> to be me.

Yes, someone (I don't remember who) suggested the idea to use Unix sockets

in a conversation on IRCnet #freeciv.

>   I should have been clearer there -- I think that there should be a secure
> AF_UNIX socket created /in addition/ to the standard AF_INET socket, and that
> it should be possible to restrict certain players (or for certain players to
> restrict themselves) to connecting via that socket.

All we need is code :)  Cookie-based authentication for inet sockets,
access via local Unix sockets, and access control on connections
are more or less independent; all would be worthwhile additions
as far as I can see.

--
Reinier Post