[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Re: [Re: Gl client probs]]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Re: [Re: Gl client probs]]
From: * <spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Feb 00 02:56:09 America/Fort_Wayne

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Rob,
>
> It's very exciting to read about a 3D client.  I am not much of a
> programmer, I know absolutely nothing about 3D programming, but I do
> hang out on #freeciv (IRCnet) a lot, and I have plenty of things on my
> wishlist.  One of the things that occurred to me, in a discussion with
> Peter Schaefer, is how it would be possible to have a dynamically tiled
> world, that can be created on arbitrarily shaped bodies, at a very small
> performance penalty.  Maybe there is someting in there that your team
> could use?

> PS 'arbitrarily shaped' means: the Freeciv world doesn't even need to be
3D.

I'd already considered that, as well as simply scrapping the whole "tile" idea
(as well as "terrain X provides integer N production..." concept for a more
natural system); however, to appease everyone, these would have to be options
which can be toggled on or off, with the intent of eventually branching into
what is pretty much a separate game as things become too different; again, to
avoid controversy, if I have time to implement them, they would be implemented
as options.

 - Rob

http://webmail.netscape.com.

http://webmail.netscape.com.