[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv wont build

To: thue105@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv wont build
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:48:49 +1100 (EST)

Thue Janus Kristensen write:

> There is still a problem with building freeciv when not logged in as root.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that you have different environment
variables set when logged in as yourself or root.

In particular I can reproduce your error message if I do
    export LINGUAS=en
before configure (for bash; equivalently "setenv LINGUAS en" for tcsh/csh).

The LINGUAS environment variable sets which message catalogues
are to be installed.  Since freeciv does not have an "en" message
catalogue, problems occur if you have this set as above.

Why you (or your system) would have the LINGUAS environment variable
set unintentionally or without knowing what it does I don't know.

-- David