[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [OpenGL client (was Re: Re: Project)]

To: * <spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Franck Guillaud <f.guillaud@xxxxxxx>, Developpement freeciv <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob <spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [OpenGL client (was Re: Re: Project)]
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 01:51:29 +0000 (WET)

On 28 Jan 2000, * wrote:

> Franck Guillaud <f.guillaud@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Jules Bean wrote:
> Another
> > option would be to use the SDL libs (because work on BeOS,
> Win32,Unix,Mac...).

That would be nice.  But i think SDL (and ClanLib for that matter) don't
have any toolkit to handle menus, buttons etc; so you would have to
implement all of those by hand.

> >     To handle units & cities, I think a good 3D object loader (.3DS,
> > .lwo,...) is needed. If it is efficient, it would handle most of the work.

The WxWindows GLCanvas widget comes with a .lwo object loader (see the
'penguin' sample) it is under the GNU GPL.  Porting it to GLUT or whatever
should be easy.  The WxWindows site is at: http://www.wxwindows.org.

> Ok, the first thing we'll need to decide is on a toolkit to use.  In class
> we've been using GLUT.  It is multiplatform, but from what I understand it is
> rather limited in functionality (all I've used of it so far is an idle loop,
> redraw and reshape fn's, and mouse and keyboard fns, and I know it also has
> menu support).  But beyond that, I don't think it has much.  What is SDL like?

Yes, GLUT is a bit basic, beyond that it supports a few primitives ala GLU
(including a teapot!) and text.

---