[Freeciv-Dev] Installing Freeciv 1.9.0 (PR#235)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Installing Freeciv 1.9.0 (PR#235)
From: Keith Rhodes <klrhodes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 07:59:48 -0800 (PST)

I downloaded version 1.9.0 from the ftp site yesterday, and
compiled it this morning.

I wanted to install it under /opt. So, I followed the
instructions in the README file, but I got no joy...

$ make install --prefix=/opt/freeciv
make: unrecognized option `--prefix=/opt/freeciv'

]$ make -v
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland
McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying
conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

So, I've got one of the right versions of make, yet it won't
accept this option.

Oh well, I suppose I can live with freeciv elsewhere, but I
would have liked to have been able to keep it on my /opt
partition, along with most other applications.

Keith Rhodes, ardent Freeciv player.