[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Glaciars: what happens after they leave

To: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Glaciars: what happens after they leave
From: Jason Todd <idjason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 22:46:53 +0000

 Is there a diamond special? If so than glaciars would leave more
of them than normal. This is what has been happening in the
Canadian north. Tops of kimberlite pipes were reavealed(kimberlite
pipes are where diamonds are found in commercial quantitys)
making diamonds easier to find.

Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 05:57 PM 1/5/00 +0000, Jason Todd wrote:
> >  I was thinking about what happens to squares after a glaciar
> >leaves. So here it is... A square can't possibly be unchaged
> >after a glaciar. A forest can't remain a forest, etc. So
> >mountains should become hills, forests and grasslands should
> >become plains, plains should stay the same, but as a bonus
> >deserts should become plains too due to the increase in
> >good stuff in the soil left by the glaciar. As for huts, they
> >should stay. Now for specials and rivers; rivers, IMHO should
> >stay the way they were, but specials should be randomly created
> >at the same level as the server is set.
>
> Glaciers should leave behind more lakes and river squares. When they
> advance over an existing lake square there ought to be some percentage
> chance that the water gets extended in the direction of the glacier's
> advance (well, pushed up a river/plain/grassland/forest square, at least).

Yeah, you are right about an increase in water. Now that i think
about it this should take place in an increase of rivers not
lakes though. Bigger lakes, though realistic, IMHO would ruin the
land, making a glaciar an bigger problem than just you having to
move and than rebuild.