[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cache

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cache
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:12:28 -0500

At 1999/12/26 01:38 , Kevin Breit wrote:
>I was wondering if/what Freeciv caches to swap.  Just wondering.  Can this be
>improved for maybe slightly better network play?

Well, to quote the Freeciv Hacker's Guide (./freeciv_hackers_guide.txt):

The client is pretty dumb. Almost all calculations is performed on the
server.
[It wasn't like this always. Originally more code was placed in the
common/ dir, allowing the client to do some of the world updates itself.
The end_of_turn city-refresh was for example performed both on the server
and on the client. However things got quite complex, more and more info
was needed on the client-side(security problem). Little by little we moved
more code to the server, and as of 1.5 the client is quite dumb -PU]

So, the client's heavy reliance on the server is purposeful: to maintain world
state consistency, information security, and ease of implementation.

Also, I haven't noticed any problems with network play -- but, I've never tried
*Internetwork* play (I have a very slow link to the Internet).

jjm