Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv on CD (was: [Fwd: ascii techlinux japan])

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, takas-h@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv on CD (was: [Fwd: ascii techlinux japan])
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:21:35 +0100

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 09:25:14AM -0800, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> Does anyone forsee a problem with this?

Potential problems, only.

>  My name is Takashi Higa, and I'm an editor
> of Linux information magazine,
> called "TECH Linux", ASCII Corp in Japan.
> "TECH Linux" is Linux Magazine for Japanese LINUX Gamers,
> Newbie LINUX Game Programmers.
> Newest issue comes with 2 CD-ROMs that loaded
> with Playabledemos, FreeSoftwares, Sharewares, product advertisements.
>
>  Right now, we are working on a particular project
> with which we would like to ask you for your cooperation.
> The title of this project is;
> "The COOL GAMES for Linux".

By the time people use the CD, the Freeciv version used on it
will probably be old and incompatible.  If there are clear
references to www.freeciv.org and and advice to upgrade
in case of problems, this won't be a problem.

> We want your permission to record the softwares listed
> to the CD-ROM of our magazine.
> (freeciv-1.9.0.tar.gz, Brunus_30x30-1.8.0-1.1b,
> Classic_30x30_45-1.8.0-1.0,
> Dwp_30x30_256-1.8.0-1.0, Engels_45x45-1.8.0-1.1,
> Trident_30x30-1.8.1-1.3, Ancients-1.8.0-1.0)

I don't think any of these tilesets work with 1.9.0 anymore, so it's
probably best not to include them.  Maybe it's better to include
the manual instead.  And the source code!  The Freeciv license
explicitly requires this:

  http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/COPYING#L134

I don't think it's very important in this Internet age.
Proper URLs are more important than the inclusion of copies.
But the license is there so it should be followed.

> If you are interested in the project, please contact me
> as soon as possible.
> Actually, deadline of this project is staring us
> in the face, so I am desperately waiting for you to
> give the answer back.

The only persons who could speak for Freeciv are Jeff Mallatt, as the
present coordinator, and the original authors; I know at least one of
them is on the freeciv-dev list.

> Thank you very much.
>
> If you have any question about TECH Linux or if you send your reply,
> please contact :
>
> Takashi Higa
> takas-h@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> TECH Linux