Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Anyone else working on multiple-client support?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Anyone else working on multiple-client support?
From: "jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:19:12 -0800

        It's not usual to reply to one's own posting, but here goes.  The
draft multiple client support is in place.  I'll be submitting it soon to
freeciv website, assuming that my ISP's nameservers aren't acting up again.

>       Top-level configure.in will require rewriting the client-selection
> logic to support more than "XAW" and "everthing else is GTK".  The enable
> option for client will honor "no" (--disable-client), "xaw", "gtk", "beos",
> "stub", "yes", and anything else of interest (maybe "win32", "mac", "amiga"?)

        Done.  Clients supported with the changes to configure.in are "xaw",
"gtk", "beos", and "win32".  I put the "win32" there to give an example of
how to use the support;  I dropped "mac" because it caused my version of
automake to spit out error messages -- perhaps name it "apple" or some such.

        The patch is at http://www.jrb3.com/bdh/Cosource/freeciv/distrib.html
in files DIFF.STUB.190 (context diff) and STUB.190.tar (TAR file of new
directories and contents).  It should be accessible by 21:00 PST tonight.

        The diff contains minor changes to two client/include/*_g.h
files, to add missing parameter names.  As a bonus, the configure.in changes
allow the server to compile and operate minimally on the BeOS.  The deltas
come off the 1.9.0 released baseline, not CVS.

>       Once all this is in place, then I can start the BeOS port in earnest.
> I think I've done all the other exploratory work I need ....

        I'll also handle the minor details of arranging for testers and
dropping the bid on my proposal so it can progress to development.

                Joseph