Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: city names disappear (PR#179)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: city names disappear (PR#179)
From: Erik <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:20:16 -0600

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:14:43AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> > But maybe it would be good to have a client option controlling
> > how persistent the city names are...
>
> That would be nice for screenshots.

I'd like it for playing, as well.

I run into the problem that all the tiles are about the same shape
(dictated by the map behind the image for the unit/city) and about the
same color (speaking of units/cities here.  Once again governed by the
map).  This makes it hard for me to tell what is a city, and what is a
unit, and what sort of unit it is.  Having the labels at least lets me
pick out the cities quickly.

Naturally this doesn't stop me from spending time getting my butt
kicked by the AI.  It's a great game and I really like the new GTK+
interface, although I'm curious what I'd have to do to compile the Xaw
version.  It autodetected GTK+ without my having to do anything, and
without telling me which it would build.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Once again, thank you for putting together a great piece of software.

Erik DeBill

--
steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the existence of objective reality.