Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: My ideas and wishes list

To: Markus Linnala <maage@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: My ideas and wishes list
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:44:45 -0600

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 02:36:52AM +0200, Markus Linnala wrote:
> - how to upgrade units
> - how to disband units that is not needed any more

        The AI knows both of these.
        Phalanx in a city will be disbanded to help build Musketeers, etc.
However, Settlers, and other units which never go back to cities, tend to
not get upgraded.

> - how to make and disband units (diplomats) to build wonders if
>   you don't have caravan/freight

        This is almost certainly not worth it.
        Caravan/Freight disband for their full production point value.
Other units only disband for half.  You'd almost certainly be better off
simply researching Trade.

> - how to minimize pollution

        This has been discussed before.

> - how to balance between attacking and defending units
>   * at big games AI tend to lose attacking units (howizers) but
>     not mech infs

        I think that this is a side effect of something else.

> Also AI does try sometimes be too agressive, it does not know
> when it is not worth trying any more. I've seen it build endless
> armies of horsemen and warriors, but not achieve anything. And
> if you concentrated on science you got huge benefit.

        Yes.

> - at big games server can be unresponsive long periods of time,
>   latency can be as high as several minutes even at fast
>   machines

        This is actively being worked on.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."